[Note: Today's blog entry has been submitted remotely from Derek's Blackberry. I apologize for any typos and grammar issues!]
I have now seen Terry Watson speak on 3 different occasions, While nothing can replace seeing him live, I always come away with some notes and takeaways. I thought this would make for a great blog entry. If you want information on Terry, go to www.TerryWatson.com.
- Many agents leave themselves vulnerable. Example: Don't have 90% of your biz with one relo company. Ask yourself, "Where am I vulnerable?"
- Don't be the Polaroid, be the Kodak digital. Reinvent yourself.
- Cost-Benefit analyze EVERYTHING!
- Airlines have trimmed costs. Run your business like them. Cut costs wherever you can!
- Top Things to do NOW: Get a YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn account. Reduce your debt. Market green. Tell, don't show. Use humor. CASE: Copy And Steal Everything!
- Use REALTOR.org Right Tools Right Now and ProQuest.
- Use media (articles, blog posts) to reinforce your points to buyers/sellers.
- Kill the urge to quit.
- Trademark your slogan.
- Every day, improve something just a little. Think Hyundai.
- Use video and photo extensively. No head shots, but full body shots doing stuff.
- Media's job is to shock and scare. Understand that.
- Read the book "Nuts" about Southwest airlines. It's OK to have a sense of humor.
- Show your customers where the money is going! Be transparent.
This is just a snapshot of what Terry brought to the table today. My notes could never fully capture his energy, passion and humor, but hopefully there is a nugget or two in this post that is helpful!